Wednesday, November 21, 2007

USS Hornet Trip

So last weekend, I went on a trip with the Troop on the USS Hornet, the ship which picked up the Apollo 11 astronauts. I came over to Alameda, where the ship was berthed, with carload of Scouts and one other adult, and I shall say this even if it makes me appear old: when I was going on Scout trips as a Scout, Before we could even board (although it must said that we were slightly behind our own schedule, and the military schedule of the Hornet is unforgiving), the fire drill started. The crew presentation seemed to our boys (and I agree with their impressions) aimed squarely and exclusively at the Cub Scouts, although on this occasion there werre Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts as well. Our troop contingent bunked in the chief petty officers' quarters, on port side below the enlisted crewman's quarters. Dinner was regimented, but it was not possible for such a large group as ours was to sit together. The unhappy result was that one kid was left behind (briefly) at the mess.

The evening program consisted of self-guided tours of various areas of the ship, including navigation and the engine room. Each tour group, of course, had to include one adult to keep on eye on the boys (and in one case, girls) The flight deck was off-limits except to a few guided groups. The interior of the ship, at least those portions which were open, was a little disorienting, but then I do not have the best sense of direction and prefer to go back exactly the way I arrived. I would have preferred to spend more time in navigation and engineering, but i had to keep an eye on certain roustabouts. I and my group finally got to the flight deck tour. That was cool! I'm afraid the language of boyhood enthusiasm is the only one in which my feelings about the flight deck can find expression.

I was supposed to do the 5-7 watch, but the adults who were doing the 3-5 watch were so enthusiastic that they stayed unitl 6 and then decided to fill the remaining time themselves.

No comments: