Monday, January 31, 2022

Mike Carey's Unwritten (Some Spoilers)

 Mike Carey is a favorite author of mine, whose works include both the Vertigo series Lucifer (original run) and the book The Girl With All the Gifts. Carey's series Unwritten, however, does not have the same impact on me, and I think I now know why. I thought my lack of response might have been a surfeit of meta-commentary in series of the time period, but this turned out to be false.

Unwritten stars Tommy Taylor, an expository character for Harry Potter, whose fictionality is substantially greater than that of many media celebrities. An unpleasant experience with an obsessed fan leads to a plot that threatens all reality and breaks the tenuous barrier between fiction and reality. The conclusion of the series involves the abolition of fiction - all fiction. I should have expected this ending, given the title of the series and the Flood motif, but it had little emotional impact on me, save for vague disappointment. I am a student of myth and legend, and therefore a conclusion that the old stories must be swept away and utterly forgotten is the antithesis of what I hold dear. I do not regret reading the series, but its conclusion is more palatable to a younger, less traditional generation.

No comments: