Thursday, December 10, 2009

Cathedral at the Foreign Cinema

On Thursday, my first alma mater, Cathedral School for Boys, held a party down in Mission at the Foreign Cinema, whose name perplexed me when I looked into the matter. It wasn't a cinema (although it does project movies), but I couldn't tell what fraction was a bar and what fraction a restaurant without a personal inspection.

Once I arrived at Foreign Cinema, I realized that I had passed the door on several other occasions, but had dismissed it as the entrance to a (possibly abandoned) seedy industrial bar, since one could only see a long empty corridor through the windows. I suppose solid urban construction is not my aesthetic taste. The part of the bar in which the Cathedral party occurred was a large box with a concrete floor, suitable for an industrial dance party. As usual, the normal decibel level of an event space was a bit too loud for me - my guess is that the restaurant portion is better for conversation. The bartender, it turned out, was a student at SFSU, another of my almae matres (if a plural here is allowed!). It was very nice to see some of my old teachers, including Madame Terraciano, who buys at the same cafe as I do but keeps a different coffee schedule, and Mrs. Peskin (I'm sorry, I still find The Golden Key creepy rather than beautiful). Cocktail parties aren't my thing, and the scene was dominated by alumni parents, so I did not remain until the end, but rather left after I had talked sufficiently with the people whom I knew.

No comments: