Sunday, December 6, 2009

O Plastic Tree, thy leaves are so unchanging!

On Monday, the Calvary bible study group which I attend (although I confess my absence at the previous meeting) participated in the "Hanging of the Greens", a tradition with which I was not familiar. Apparently, it's a fancy term for Christmas decoration volunteer labor. Don't get the wrong idea: working on a task together is highly enjoyable, but it's still labor. I'm no cook, so my contribution to the potluck was made by others. The amount of decoration provided seemed excessive to me, but this is a thought I have every year. The leader of the work detail, however, was an expert Christmas tree decorator, and knew how to drape the voluminous ribbons.
Decoration, of course, is easier when the tree is made of plastic. I understand the appeal of a fake tree for institutions (such as Calvary) which need to vacuum acres of carpet and respect the sensitivities of the hypoallergenic congregants, but it still doesn't provide the same satisfaction.

No comments: